Marriage is a gift God has given to all humankind for the well-being of the entire human family. Marriage is a civil contract between a woman and a man. For Christians marriage is a covenant through which a man and a woman are called to live out together before God their lives of discipleship. In a service of Christian marriage, a lifelong commitment is made by a woman and a man to each other, publicly witnessed and acknowledged by the community of faith.
Book of Order, W-4.9001
We are glad that you are considering being married at First Presbyterian Church. It is a fitting and beautiful place for such a joyous occasion. Celebrating a wedding in God’s house reminds us of God’s steadfast love for us, and allows us to express our love and thanksgiving to God in worship.
- Call the church office (405) 525-6584 for tentative wedding date possibilities. Note: Due to the busy church calendar during the holiday season, weddings between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, and Palm Sunday through Easter may be difficult to accommodate. Request a copy of the “Planning Your Wedding” booklet prepared by First Presbyterian Church, or download the PDF. Wedding Booklet is posted: CLICK HERE.
- Complete the Wedding Reservation Form (or fill out the online Wedding Reservation Form) and return it to the Church office. Read the Wedding Booklet carefully. In doing so, you will answer many questions you might have regarding the rehearsal, wedding ceremony and all the services First Presbyterian makes available to you.
- Your Form will be reviewed by the Pastors and organist and upon their approval; your date will be secured on the church calendar. At that time the wedding coordinator will contact you for an initial visit to assist you with your wedding plans. A non-refundable deposit of $200 is payable at that meeting.
- You will receive a letter from the Pastors explaining premarital counseling and education preparation for a Christian marriage. The pastor will provide the name of the counselor used by the church. The fee for this counseling is in addition to any other fees and is paid directly to the counselor by the couple. You will also meet with the officiating pastor for the planning of the marriage worship service.
- The church wedding coordinator will advise you as to the church’s policies concerning florist, photographers, and also all of the facilities and equipment available for the wedding.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
- Members must be active members for at least six months prior to applying for a wedding date to be eligible for the lower membership fees.
- First Presbyterian Church does allow non-member weddings although date preference is given to members.
- Pastors of FPC must be the officiating minister but other clergy may participate at the invitation of our pastors.
- Taped or recorded music is not permitted. No electronically enhanced instruments shall be attached to the church audio system. Sentimental ballads, popular songs and selections from musicals are not consistent with a church ceremony and should be used at the reception.
- Organist and wedding coordinator for the wedding must be staff members of FPC.
- Saturday evening weddings may not be held after 7:00p.m.
- Receptions may be held in our fellowship room (Watchorn Hall) immediately following the service.
- Fee schedule may be found in Wedding Booklet or by calling the church office.